Re: [ANN] Working drafts by SW Best Practices group -- request for comments

From: Eric Jain <ejain@isb-sib.ch>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:52:20 +0200 (CEST)
To: "Natasha Noy" <noy@SMI.Stanford.EDU>
Cc: public-swbp-wg@w3.org

> AfricanLion will also be a subclass of owl:Class, which will mean that
> all its instances are classes. In most applications, this is probably
> not what you want.

I realize that this approach can be misleading. Let's say we have

:hasAnimal
  a :ObjectProperty
  rdfs:range :Animal

and

:Simba
  rdfs:subClassOf :AfricanLion;

then we can't say

:SanDiegoZoo
  :hasAnimal :Simba

until we also assert that

:Simba
  a :Animal;

Also, this will only work with OWL Full. Neverthless I think this is a
valid approach (let me know if it isn't), and no more awkward than some of
the other solutions you propose :-)