From: public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Bernard Vatant
Sent: 23 April 2004 17:45
To: public-swbp-wg@w3.org
Subject: ECOTERM - RE: [THES] drafting Thesaurus TF overview

At the workshop announced in the below message, we had the opportunity, with
Alistair
Miles, to present ongoing work in the SW, including SWBPD and SWAD Europe,
and relevancy
of SW technologies to deal with the environment terminology issues. There
was a great
interest in those presentations from workshop participants (40-50 people).

The output of this very fruitful meeting was the creation of a new entity
called ECOTERM
(legal status and charter pending) of which objective will be to provide
tools and
framework for coordination, interoperability and availability on the Web of
KOS legacy
(thesauri, vocabularies, ontologies ...) in the domain of environment at
large.

Most interestingly, part of the consensus was to consider Semantic Web
technologies and
languages as most relevant tools to achieve those goals, and interest in
cooperation/liaison with SWBPD WG has been formally expressed in the meeting
final
agreement document.

IMO, this is an extremely interesting opportunity to test SW in a large,
real world,
multilingual, multidisciplinary and general interest use case.

To be continued ...

Bernard Vatant
Senior Consultant
Knowledge Engineering
Mondeca - www.mondeca.com
bernard.vatant@mondeca.com

Geneva by UN
> Environment Programme Regional Office of Europe, next week (April 14-15).
BTW this
> conflicts with next WG meeting :(
>
> See http://ecoinfo.eionet.eu.int/
>
> This workshop will focus on integration of environment terminologies and
> thesauri provided
> by UN organizations such as FAO (AGROVOC Thesaurus), UNEP (ENVOC
Thesaurus), UNESCO ...