RE: Self-descriptive assertions

From: Williams, Stuart <skw@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:09:57 +0100
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: public-sw-meaning@w3.org

Hello Mark,

> /me reads over his conclusions
>
> Ah, was it this that you were responding to?
>
> ""
> IE's behaviour regarding namespace dispatch alone is
> consistent, yet when a no-op stylesheet is applied, either
> the media type appears to be implicitly coerced or
> namespace-dispatch is activated. I can think of no non-bug
> explanation for why that might be the case.
> ""

Yes indeed... there appeared to be an implicit expectation of what
processing should take place (which afaict is one of the topics on this
thread).

> Well, if the result of the transformation has no associated
> media type, then either a) whatever receives those results is
> adding a media type which is different than the original one,
> b) namespace dispatch is being activated as a result of the
> transform taking place, or
> c) some other funkiness.

wrt a) whatever receives those results is processing them in an application
specific manner. It may not be 'inventing' media-type - I mean... how could
you tell? It's an internal matter for the recipient of the original
representation inc. media-type.

wrt b) how can you tell that any namespace dispatch is occuring... results
for test 4 rather suggest that the root namespace of the result is ignored.

Cheers

Stuart