RE: Comment on "Meaning and the Semantic Web"

At 23:14 01/06/04 -0400, John Black wrote:
>Let's use a little stage setting here.  Suppose I have a search engine
>agent that populates my web site with results of a semantic web enabled
>search.  I am in particular looking for FOAF documents with a particular
>content.  Now everything is working fine until one day, documents that
>used to be retrieved correctly stop showing up and others that I've never
>seen before - and don't want - do start showing up. Now I have to
>debug this. Two equally plausible hypotheses occur to me. Either Dan
>has gone bad, and decided to mess with the FOAF schema, or my search
>agent has failed and its mistakes are equivalent to what Dan might
>have done.  I can't tell which.  My documents, using the output
>of the search engine, are defective in the same way in either case.
>This is the symmetry argument.  In a society of communicators,
>correct interpretation is just as important as correct publishing.

When this is truly a concern, maybe this proposal from Larry Masinter may
be of some help:

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-masinter-dated-uri-04.txt

(i.e. you have a means to indicate a reference to a resource as it was
presented at a specified time.)

#g

Graham Klyne
For email: