RE: How does RDF/OWL formalism relate to meanings?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:07:52 -0500
To: John Black <JohnBlack@deltek.com>
Cc: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, public-sw-meaning@w3c.org

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 15:25, John Black wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Before we continue, would you mind taking a
> stab at answering the same questions that Pat answered from the
> point of view of the TAG and the Web architeture?  Or at least
> the specific question that Pat answered: If I want to make
> assertions about my specific company and its employees, and
> have my assertions understood to refer to them and none other,
> how do I go about that?

Like he said, I'd use owl:FunctionalProperty and/or
owl:InverseFunctionalProperty.

There's an ESW wiki topic where I started answering the
question in a little more detail... hmm... not much more.

[[
How can I use naming properties to tell that things are the same?

      * use owl:InverseFunctionalProperty. e.g. statecode, iata codes,
        log:uri
      * @@discuss the cost of dropping the unique names assumption,
        equality reasoning, etc.
How can I use naming properties to tell things apart?

      * use owl:FunctionalProperty, as in [WWW]mtgppl.
]]
http://esw.w3.org/topic/PropertiesForNaming

see you at the WWW2004 in NY 17-22 May?