RE: Proposed issue: What does using an URI require of me and my software?

> [...]
> >
> >Actually, the whole question of damage raises another distinction.
> >Most of the "intuition pump" example is about things going wrong.
> >
> >I think we may have to consciously distinguish in the design
> >of the semantic web in general between the normal expected ways
> >of going about things, which we can show will wok, and the
> >operating procedures which will allow one to operate safely in
> >a potentially hostile environment.
>
> Agreed, important point.
>
> >Example: a purchase choice system choses the cheapest product
> >which is offered as being compatible with an hp:p314159.
> >The naive protocol is for the seller to offer the
> compatibility and price
> >system in the catalogue which you get by dereferencing the
> >part URI, and the buyer loading the catalogs into its kb.
> >A more secure system filters the catalogs for lies about
> >which product is best.  You can define conformance with some
> >market protocol in that the catalog only has data of a given form,
> >but you still want to be careful about things which break it.
> >
> >Focussing, then, back on what an RDF document means, which
> >was the original narrower scope than all of this, I would say we have
> >to first define the naive protocol,
> >
> >- Use of an HTTP URI as a symbol in an RDF statement
> >  refers to one thing which the URI owner intended.
>
> Why? Why do we need to say that it refers to ONE thing? Even as a
> normal assumption. Surely, all we need here is the following:
>

> >- The URI owner puts true, consistent, hum &/or machine
> >readable information in the
> >   document that you get should you chose to dereference the URI.
>
> Right. Now, lets suppose that as well as there being a document that
> you get, that the document says that it refers to something.  (Eg the
> document at http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema says "This document
> describes the XML schema namespace.") Under those conditions, then,
> accepting the truth of the document amounts to accepting that it
> refers to some unique thing. It might say that more formally in some
> way, or it might not say it at all.  But it seems to me that all we
> need to stipulate is that if it says something, then there is a
> ceterus paribus, normal, all things considered, good practice
> assumption being made by everyone involved that whatever it says, is
> being considered to be true. That seems the least we can reasonably
> say about this, and I think it is all we need to say about it; and it
> has the great merit of being susceptible to precise semantic
> description which applies both to SW stuff and NL stuff that you
> might find there, and it treats the URI according to existing Web
> architectural principles (you ping it, you get a representation, you
> assume its true) and it seems to conform with existing practice,
> insofar as there is one, and it cuts through useless debates. What
> exactly does http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema denote? Well, use the
> Web, take a look, and see what it says.  If that doesn't tell you,

I agree with this.  But why not go on and say that it should be
formal?  If you want to define a URI for use in RDF then you must
embed an <> rdf:type ontology:ClassOfThisURI in the document at
that URI.  The architecture should then specify that any URI
that does not have such a tag defaults, for the purpose of
meaning in RDF to <> rdf:type rdf:Thing.  So now all such
undefined URIs can be converted into logical statements that
assert the existence of Thing(URI).  An owner of a URI thus
defines its meaning by embedding such a tag.  Operationally,
any use of this URI should be checked for conformity with
this assertion.  That is, if you use that URI in RDF, then
you must do so in a way that conforms to the assertion
that it designates an individual of ontology:ClassOfThisUri.
Then, logically, the entire web becomes a federated binary relation
of dyadic tuples (uri,type) that can be used to test all uses of
a URI.

Any use of a URI that defaults to type Thing will
always conform.  Furthermore, if URI is of type
ontology:ClassOfThisUri then any use of that URI as
a ontology:SuperClassOfThisUri will also conform since any
URI that conforms to a onto:Class will also conform to all its
onto:SuperClasses.