Re: Proposed issue: What does using an URI require of me and my software?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Proposed issue: What does using an URI require of me and my software?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:41:24 -0500

[...]

> > 6/ I believe that one of the issues that needs to be resolved is what
> >    information is implicit in the use of a URI reference with optional
> >    fragment identifier, particularly in the case where removing the
> >    fragment identifier results in the URI that can be used to retrieve an
> >    RDF (or OWL) document.
>
> Hmm... I don't see how that's any smaller than the
> whole rdfURIMeaning-39 issue.

I see that there is a broad reading of this, but I meant a much more narrow
meaning along the following lines:

	If the notions of how information is recorded and gathered and how
	the meaning/denotation/... of a URI reference is determined in a
	particular context are given then how does one determine the
	context in which to determine the meaning/denotation/... of a URI
	reference.

I think that this is actually quite a bit smaller than rdfURIMeaning-39, as
it excludes issues of differing languages, inaccessible information, etc.

My solution, of course, is that under a representation regime context is
determined from an initial set of information solely by the explicit
importing constructs of that representation regime that import
web-accessible documents that are compatible with the representation
regime.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider