Re: Language Instincts

Hi,

I have read this article too and enjoyed it too. But I have a more
intermediate opinions.

Le vendredi, 19 sep 2003, à 12:22 America/Montreal, Dan Connolly a
écrit :
> "I don't think the Semantic Web will come from a specification that
> tells us how to name and categorize everything. But it could arise, I
> suspect, from our linguistic instincts and from the social contexts
> that
> nurture them."

Yes and no. I definitely agree that specifications which tend to impose
to people a set of requirements without taking into account the nature
of needs or the actual usages of people will not succeed. But there's
another danger in the lack of a specification, which is a set of
vocabulary imposed by the most used or most powerful software on the
market.

I would prefer definitely to see a specification which is made with the
largest possible community: not in numbers of participants, but in
terms of type of domains participating.

For the categorization of information using CSS, the author has
definitely a point and he comes very close of my silly idea of COW
(Cascading Ontologies for The Web) where we could map OWL Ontologies in
a markup suitable for HTML without breaking any laws of validity, by
using class attributes for example.
	http://www.la-grange.net/web/cow

There's just a need of implementation in Weblogs software importing
real ontologies and creating a markup inside the HTML with classes.

A bit of the ideas exposed here
	http://radio.weblogs.com/0110772/stories/2003/03/13/
towardsStructuredBlogging.html
	http://www.la-grange.net/2003/02/17.html.en#web-semantique