Re: in defense of standards

At 22:18 09/10/03 -0400, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>> > If you don't
>> > like it, communicate with your partners. You're free to say, "That way
>> > of saying this irritates me. I'm avoiding that"
>Negotiating with partners doesn't scale.  That's why we have
>standards.

Um, the trouble is, I think, that not negotiating with partners doesn't
scale either.  Beyond 1.

In this respect, standards can magnify the effects of negotiation -- the
scope of some consent -- but not create such effects in the first place.  I
also note that standards themselves are the result of a negotiation.

My point?  I reject the implication that we can disregard negotiation
because we have standards.

#g
--

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Fractal.html
(Seems relevant, but I'm not sure exactly how.)

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org