Re: what matters is what's said, not what's meant

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 16:01:46 -0400
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Cc: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, public-sw-meaning@w3.org

> On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 09:50  AM, pat hayes wrote:
> [snip]
> > Suggestion: lets decide to NEVER make rules that require consistency.
>
> Hear hear.

I was oversimplifying to focus on the difference between being
consistent with someone else's content and asserting that person's
content.

In fact, I would recommend never saying something you *know* is
inconsistent, and making a reasonable effort (which depends on your
situation) to find out if it is.   I know, of course, that proving
consistency is sometimes impossible and often impractical.

    -- sandro