Re: FYI: timbl and bijan chatting about running code, closure, etc.

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 19:07:26 -0400
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, public-sw-meaning@w3.org

At 4:16 PM -0500 10/8/03, Dan Connolly wrote:
>FYI, TimBL and Bijan are chatting right now.
>  irc.freenode.net port 6667 channel #rdfig
>  irc://irc.freenode.net:6667/rdfig
>Bijan and I thought a heads-up is in order.
>Some notes may accrue at
>As always you're welcome to join.
>Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/

Interestingly, I note the log seems to include a fair amount on the
issue of whether the p in "s p o" is somehow more important than the
s and o.  This is one Bijan and I disagree strongly on -- the little
bit of logic programming training I cling to always started by saying
the Predicates are more important than the constants or variables
they refer to for determining how the program runs -- that is
  P(x,y) :- Q(x,z), R(z,BIJAN).
would be mainly dependent on P, Q, R -- BIJAN would just be a
database lookup, or would require looking for a rule with respect to R
  thus, when I taught Prolog, I taught a lot about design of the
predicates, and nothing about the design of the constants except
"they must bind"

DanC that might be the intuition you are looking for...
Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***