Re: SWSL declarative semantics

At 08:49 21/11/03 -0500, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>Agreed.  However, this is not really a model-theoretic semantics at all.
>Instead it is a translation to some other formalism that may or may not
>have a model-theoretic semantics.  If the translation is intuitive (and
>simple and ...) then, sometimes, a model-theoretic semantics for the other
>formalism may induce a decent model-theoretic semantics for the initial
>formalism.  (But then why not take the easy step of writing down this
>induced model-thoeretic semantics directly?) However, such translations are
>usually not very simple and thus any benefits of a model-theoretic
>semantics of the other formalism do not accrue to the original formalism.
>
>The translation for DAML+OIL, for example, does NOT provide this benefit.
>Even the simple translation from SKIF to FOL is rather suspect in this
>regards.

I *think* I understand the distinction between proof-theoretic and
model-theoretic semantics.  But I'm not clear what are these advantages of
MT semantics to which you refer.  Can you point me at a not-too-heavy essay
or paper that provides some elucidation of this point?

Thanks.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email: