Re: Compressed SVG? (and a couple of announcements)

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 10:37 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 1:36 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@google.com> wrote:
>
>> Robert, Jonathan, are you willing to support this in Firefox?
>>

> I'm not sure what exactly your proposal is. As I understand it, you're
> proposing to allow each SVG document to be optionally, independently
> compressed via zlib.

I was thinking gzip instead of zlib, since gzip-compressed svg is in common
use as sgvz.

> How does the UA distinguish compressed documents from not-compressed
> documents?

If the data stream starts with 0x1f 0x8b (gzip signature), then process as
svgz, otherwise process as svg.

Sairus: reading back what you wrote, I don't mind not being able to use
version 0 with svgz.  My primary goal is to find a way to benefit from size
savings of compressing an SVG OpenType font, without having to uncompress
the full thing into memory.  I'm trying to find the least disruptive way to
get there that we can agree on.  If adding a new option vector of
uncompressed lengths is what Adobe and Mozilla require, I'm totally fine
with that.

Thanks,
behdad