Re: SVG-in-OpenType support enabled in Firefox nightly builds

Hi!

On 15 September 2013 17:19, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ship support for a not-yet-standardized feature in release builds, this
> seems to be the accepted practice among other vendors developing "color
> font" solutions. At this time, then, we'd be interested in feedback from the
> community as to whether it is appropriate for Mozilla to ship SVG-in-OT
> support in a released product prior to standardization of the format
> (regarding it as a "private table" for the time being, even though the
> intention is to submit it for standardization). The alternative is to keep
> it disabled in release builds, pending progress towards standardization, but
> this of course severely limits the opportunities for people to test and
> experiment with the new technology.

My personal view is that giving it more opportunities for people to
experiment and find how to leverage the value increases the chance of
more widespread acceptance and understanding of the value proposition
of svg-in-ot, since I've heard many people voice skepticism of the
format on a conceptual basis at conferences; standardising the
implementation details is, well, the details.

--
Cheers
Dave