RE: SVG in OpenType proposal

Hi Cameron, all,

On Sunday, February 03, 2013 6:29 AM Cameron McCormack wrote:

> For animation, I continue to disagree that a separate animated glyph
> definition is required.  Our proposal states that when glyphs are
> rendered in situations where animation is not possible, then the SVG
> animation elements just do not apply.  This is the same behaviour as if
> you took an animated SVG document and opened it in an SVG user agent
> that does not support animation (such as Internet Explorer).  It is
> simple enough to construct your content such that the static view is
> what you would see if the animation elements were not present.

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that this approach would require that both the static view of the glyph and the first frame of its animated version must be identical. I don't think it is a reasonable assumption and is also one that would be very limiting from a design perspective.

Thank you,
Vlad

P.S. Are you going to discuss both proposals at the meeting (yours and the one that was previously brought up by Adobe)? I wish this had been announced in advance so that more interested parties could take part in the discussion.