RE: Two flavors of glyphs: color-specifying and color-inheriting

From: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 04:14:33 -0800
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mozilla.com>
CC: Edwin Flores <eflores@mozilla.com>, Sairus Patel <sppatel@adobe.com>, "public-svgopentype@w3.org" <public-svgopentype@w3.org>
It's that the current fill paint or stroke paint isn't compatible with SVG - so that the SVG renderer couldn't do the drawing.

Consider PDF, which supports a variety of colorspaces that SVG does not.  For example, the current fill "paint" might be a spot color (e.g Pantone or Toyo).  How would I pass that down to the SVG system?  Obviously, I can't.  Which is why it the SVG has to pass back the shape/mask back up to the font engine and then back up to the rendering system.

Leonard