RE: FW: [OpenType] Update on color/animation in OT via SVG; new W3C Community Group

On Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:01 AM
> To: Levantovsky, Vladimir
> Cc: Sairus Patel; public-svgopentype@w3.org
> Subject: Re: FW: [OpenType] Update on color/animation in OT via SVG;
> new W3C Community Group
>
> Cameron McCormack:
> >> Actually I'm not sure I like the idea of using specially formed IDs
> >> to indicate glyph IDs, since it takes away from the space of names
> >> that is currently entirely within the author's domain.  Can we
> >> introduce a new attribute here instead?  Or maybe repurpose
> >> glyphName="" to be available on every renderable element?
>
> Vladimir Levantovsky:
> > I believe it would be a benefit to treat SVG document in OT as a
> > standalone resource, and therefore, it needs to be compliant with XML
> > spec. I think it can be easily done by introducing a new mapping
> > table by which a glyphID is linked to an SVG element ID (I would
> > rather keep element IDs as generic as possible).
>
> Yeah, having a separate mapping table would also work.  I don't know if
> it is any better or worse than putting the glyph indices into the SVG
> document itself somehow.

After sleeping on it for a while, I think this really depends on how SVG and OT engines are integrated. If the whole SVG document is extracted and sent to SVG engine for processing, and then each glyph image is created based on a glyphID request - it seems that using a mechanism as e.g. the one that Sairus proposed would be easier. Lookups are helpful when one needs to extract the data from a table but not so much for external references, as is the case with SVG document.

Thank you,
Vlad