Links to other specs (Was: Re: svg2: Remove SVGElement.id since it is defined on Element.)

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 05:24:37 +0100, SVG Working Group repository
<cam+svgwgrepo@mcc.id.au> wrote:

> details:   https://svgwg.org/hg/svg2/rev/555526735e1c
> branches:
> changeset: 595:555526735e1c
> user:      Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
> date:      Sun Feb 02 15:22:38 2014 +1100
> Remove SVGElement.id since it is defined on Element.

This change depends on DOM4, which is fine, but I'm wondering if there's
any way we could get the links to DOM4 inserted automatically, like we do
for svg definitions, interfaces and so on. It's confusing that the links
in the IDL goes to DOM2 Core (e.g for Element) and not to DOM4. I guess
it's ok to just update the links now, but that doesn't help future places
in the spec that might need to reference the same, and right now it's easy
to make the external links inconsistent by accident.

I think we probably have a number of out-of-date links to other specs
scattered across the chapters. We will need to deal with that situation
sooner or later. I expect that it will get trickier to track and update
those the more specs we reference.

--
Erik Dahlstrom, Web Technology Developer, Opera Software
Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group