Re: Use of SVG to describe EPUB region

On 13/02/13 5:37 AM, Rik Cabanier wrote:
> Did we discuss that an n-to-m mapping dictionary would take care of this?
> If that information is available the markup would become:
>     <glyph-text x="10 20 30">3 1 2</ glyph-text>

We did, but I still contend that having the corresponding text (the
"abcd") in the character data of the element is important, for example
for ATs that inspect the DOM to find text, and for the DOM Selection
object to be able to represent selections across the text.  (Yes, we
have <tref> which also violates this...)

>> I took an action to think about this a bit more, but I would like the
>> mechanism for that correspondence to be the same as for the feature that
>> would allow bespoke graphics that are intended to be viewed as text (I think
>> is the kind of use case you are referring to).  We didn't exactly discuss last
>> week, but I think such a feature is important to have.  I haven't come up with
>> a satisfying syntax for it yet however.
>
> PDF already solved that problem. See chapter 10.8 in http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/pdf/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf
> I see no reason that we can't reuse some of the same concepts (ie replacement text)

Section 14.9.4?  So yes something like that, but as I say I haven't yet
come up with a syntax that I like.  Again I would prefer something that
keeps the corresponding character data as text nodes in the document.