Re: Use of SVG to describe EPUB region

On 7/02/13 1:19 AM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> I think what is also important is for ePub to use SVG 2.0. It would be
> nice to state that in the content the role of this "bubble" is a tooltip
> or if we define a better taxonomy for graphics in the future a "bubble".
> These examples also require a means to expose the textual description.
> as a scree reader user would be unable to process what is in the
> bubbles, unless of course SVG text is used. Is there a plan to use SVG
> text elements in the bubbles or will the text be drawn using strokes, etc.?

During the F2F last week, we discussed what might needed for a feature
that allows specific glyphs from a font to be rendered, and to have
character data in the document to be mapped to those glyphs.  Something
like:

   <glyphs x="10 20 30" y="0" glyphids="3 1 2">abcd</glyphs>

has the problem that, if you are performing interactive selection of the
three glyphs, you do not know how to map that to the "abcd" text that
the element is claiming it corresponds to.

I took an action to think about this a bit more, but I would like the
mechanism for that correspondence to be the same as for the feature that
would allow bespoke graphics that are intended to be viewed as text (I
think is the kind of use case you are referring to).  We didn't exactly
discuss last week, but I think such a feature is important to have.  I
haven't come up with a satisfying syntax for it yet however.