Fwd: New Diffusion Curves solver

Forwarded with permission.

This is a forwarded message
From: Pascal Barla <pascal.barla@labri.fr>
To: chris@w3.org
Date: Tuesday, November 6, 2012, 5:44:23 PM
Subject: New Diffusion Curves solver

Hello,

I am one of the authors of the "Diffusion Curves" paper, and Adrien
Bousseau (one of the first authors) had pointed me to this webpage:
     http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/Diffusion_Curves

I do not know whether this is still something you consider to integrate
in the standard, or maybe it poses some problems in practice.
Well, in both cases, we know it raises issues in practice because of the
solver that requires a lot of GPU time and produce artifacts.

For this reason, we have recently developed a new (CPU) solver for
Diffusion Curves (and more actually).
The method got accepted at Siggraph Asia 2012, and you can grab the
paper and videos here:
     http://www.labri.fr/perso/barla/blog/?p=24151

If you have any question about the technique, do not hesitate to email
us (co-authors are in CC).
We hope you'll find this evolution interesting and of interest to the
SVG standard.

Best regards,
Pascal Barla.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG