Re: id's in the SVG2 spec

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 23:34:42 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:

>>> Couldn't we just put this into the build process and add generated ids
>>> to every <p>/etc?
>>
>> That would be great, but do you have a way of guaranteeing that they
>> remain stable (enough)?
>
> There are methods that would help increase stability.  For example,
> generate ids prefixed with the ids of all ancestor sections, so that
> fiddling in one part of the document will only affect things in the
> given subsection.

This is not a simple problem. Your proposal works so long as you put
everything in the right place first time - which is probably going to
happen in a majority of cases but not all. A similar approach is to have
sub-headings at pretty detailed granularity, so even if you move them
around, they exist. And if you remove something, changelogs help as a
place to collect the orphan ids.

There's no beautiful solution - but the work that people have done on
anotation systems over the last decade and a half probably gives a lot of
clues about best known practice...

cheers

Chaals

--