Re: Agenda+ Fragment Identifiers, New Canvas API Features

From: Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:49:54 +0100
To: "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "public-svg-wg@w3.org" <public-svg-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:09:33 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
>> Hi, folks-
>>
>> Can we talk about a couple of things today?
>>
>> 1) I had a conversation with fantasai, and she's asking for a way to
>> extract
>> part of an SVG image by its id, which seems reasonable.  (see IRC log
>> below)
>
> According to SVG1.1, this should already be possible.  Just wrap the
> part of the image in an <svg>, and then either refer to the <svg> or
> an element within it by #id.
>
> ~TJ

Yes, that's right. Here's an example of that:

http://xn--dahlstrm-t4a.net/tmp/sharp-icons/svg-icon-target.svg#chart
http://xn--dahlstrm-t4a.net/tmp/sharp-icons/svg-icon-target.svg#plus

Using a bit of CSS you can even manage to hide the parts you don't want to
see:

   svg .icon { display: none }
   svg .icon:target { display: inline }

The above examples work as intended in Opera, Firefox, Safari, Chrome and
IE.

Cheers