Re: SVG-ISSUE-2433 (text-direction): consider adding dir="" attribute for specifying base text direction [SVG 2]

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> Chris Lilley:
>> So there would be a presentation attribute for the CSS property, and
>> also an HTML-like attribute, and these would not be the same and
>> might have different values?
>
> I don't claim to have fully thought this through. :-)  HTML of course has
> the direction property as well, but I don't know how it and dir="" interact.

HTML doesn't have a direction property, it only has @dir. On the
layout level, @dir maps to the 'direction' property for display
purposes.

Adding 'direction' to CSS in the first place was a mistake - we did it
to let arbitrary XML languages declare bidirectional content, since
XML didn't have a native @dir attribute.  HTML content should never
use 'direction' at all, and it would be ideal for SVG to define a
native direction property as well.

Just change the current @direction attribute into a semantic
attribute, rather than a display one.

~TJ