Re: Styling of SVG 2.0

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 16:26 -0700, Dirk Schulze wrote:
> Hi SVG WG,
>
> The current draft of SVG 2.0 makes use of the style sheet for CSS specs. I really facilitate it, but it also leads to some questions.
>
> The CSS WG has some style guidelines: http://www.w3.org/Style/spec-mark-up
>
> How much do we want to follow this guideline? I am not necessarily speaking about the short hands like: 'property' that gets transformed to <a class=property
>  href="#text-indent">'property'</a>.
>
> I am more speaking about the formatting of elements, attributes, properties and values.
>
> Just elements and attributes have a certain styling. But the font size is smaller then the rest of the text and the font weight is bold. Both is not the case for CSS.
>
> Values are surrounded by double quotes and sometimes bold but sometimes not. In CSS we have single quotes and blueish color, like for properties.
>
> The blueish color differs between SVG and CSS.
>
> There are more differences, but in general I just want to know if we try to adapt our design to CSS3 as much as possible, or if we want to continue with the old SVG design.

I think it is good to use the CSS3 style sheet (I added them last
November) as a guide for consistency but as Cameron notes, the SVG spec
is quite a bit different from a typical CSS spec. There is room for
adjustment but I too am rather happy with the current SVG2 styling.
Perhaps we can discuss the finer details at a future meeting. I redid
the pserver section a few months ago while Cameron has worked on the
painting section more recently. He has made a few adjustments that are
probably worth doing. (I don't think the other sections have been really
touched other than adding the CSS3 style sheet.)

One styling issue I would like to bring up is that of figures. SVG 1.1
has quite inconsistent figures. Some are very small, others large. A few
are quite garish. When I redid the pserver section I tried to make all
the figures in a consistent way (similar sizes, colors, fonts, arrow
styling, etc.). You can compare the before and after:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/pservers.html
https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/pservers.html

      Tav