From: Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 9 December 2011 8:53 AM
To: Tavmjong Bah
Cc: Cyril Concolato; SVG WG (public-svg-wg@w3.org)
Subject: Re: Comments on SVG 2 Gradients

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Tavmjong Bah <tavmjong@free.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 05:47 +0000, Cyril Concolato wrote:
>> The next item to be discussed on the SVG 2 Requirements list is
>> Gradients. I’ve a made a small page
>> (http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/SVG2GradientsComments)
>> describing some comments that I would like to discuss, possibly if we
>> have time during the next telcon. Let me know if you have comments.
>
>        I've seen the same problem you point out with some of the
> drawings I've made. It shows up when one has a large change in color
> as your black and white example shows. The problem can also be seen
> with the existing SVG linear and radial gradients. I've been planning
> on adding tensor meshes to my version of Inkscape to see if moving the
> tensor handles can minimize the effect.
>
>        You point out the problem can be seen to some extent with my
> color conical gradient example. This is the exact same problem as one
> has with linear and radial gradients. I verified this when I first saw
> the problem and wanted to know if it was a bug in the Cairo
> implementation or if it was inherent to linear/radial/Coons patch mesh gradients.
>
>        The paper you refer to is interesting, especially the mesh
> optimization part (from Inkscape's point of view). However, I wonder
> in practice if the drawings would appear much different if the meshes
> were simply Coons Patch meshes. For the most part, all the meshes have
> small changes in color where the problem you've pointed out would not be so apparent.
>
>        For me, the question becomes: do we want to specify the more
> complicated Ferguson meshes (or something similar) in the SVG spec or
> stay with the more simpler (and "standard") Coons Patch/Tensor Patch
> meshes and let the authoring software take care of any problems (like
> Illustrator does when exporting to PDF).

The most important consideration from my perspective is what can be efficiently implemented in browsers and in GPUs.  A slow gradient will kill performance on the whole page.  So, whatever the prettiest thing that can still be efficiently implemented is what we should go with.

~TJ
The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be confidential and may also be the subject to legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately advise the sender by return email and delete the information from your system.