Re: Live path effects sample from mountain view f2f

Am 30.10.2011 um 08:00 schrieb Cameron McCormack:

> On 29/10/11 11:40 PM, Dirk Schulze wrote:
>> In my opinion SVG viewers don't care that much about these information.
>
> I think they do, if we want to allow authors to script/animate their documents to modify the shape having the path effect applied to it, or the live path effect itself.  For static situations, yes, you may as well just store the final form path in the file.
Even animations can be targeted with pre-calculated animation steps. Just imagine if you have to redo all these calculation steps on path effects for every animation time frame. This situation would get worse.

> I agree that certain effects will be computationally expensive, and may be infeasible at the moment if they have to be implemented in software.  Depends on the effect, probably.
It depends on the implementation and it depends on the effect, right. Some effects are maybe even faster to apply for the viewer than the pre-calculated results. I just want to remind that we need to target performance as well. And to recognize that we might have different needs and usages of SVGs might help to address these needs.

Dirk