Re: Matching marker color to path color

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 17:27:32 +1200
To: Tavmjong Bah <tavmjong@free.fr>
CC: public-svg-wg@w3.org
On 10/02/11 8:40 AM, Tavmjong Bah wrote:
> Patrick had an idea at SVG Open on how to fix the problem of having
> marker color match path color. This is the most often cited "bug" in
> Inkscape since there is no natural way to have an arrowhead take the
> color of the path. At the time I thought his idea wouldn't work but now
> I think it may have some merit. The main change to the spec would be
> that marker fill and stroke are evaluated at the point of use and not at
> the point of definition.

During the F2F as part of the discussion of the SVG Vector Effects
specification, Chris mentioned a proposal to add a few new keywords to
handle the issue of marker colour (and SVG Font glyph colour):

http://www.w3.org/2011/07/29-svg-minutes.html#item02

I feel that that is a better solution since it is explicit about where
the computed values of these keywords comes from, rather than
automatically changing depending on if you use them on elements inside a
marker or not.

Note that the keywords Chris proposed come in two varieties -- one that
lets you select the current paint from one of the fill/stroke/color
properties at the point of use, and one from the point of reference.

Do you have any thoughts on this?