RE: Updated Summary of Discussions about FX work items

> If you told your high school math teacher that 90deg was down, like the
> 'azimuth' property says, you'd be just as wrong.  SVG uses screen-polar
> angles, not math-polar.  CSS previous used math-polar.
> My poll gave three options - math-polar, screen-polar, and bearing angles -
> and bearing angles won by an enormous margin.

Transformations are always relative to the current coordinate system which might already be transformed.
In the initial CTM, the X-axis goes left to right which is how it's done in high school math, but the Y-axis goes top to bottom which is different. (0,0) is in the top left.

So, when rotating from 0 to 90 degrees will move you coordinate system towards the Y-axis and this is in both screen-polar and math-polar. This is why the rotate formula is the same in CSS/SVG (= screen polar) as it is in PDF/PostScript (=math polar)
I think that this is where the confusion is coming from.
So, with this in mind, all that the gradient spec needs to do is define the initial CTM of the gradient. It should mark the center of the shape as (0,0), the X-axis as bottom to top and the Y-axis as right to left.

I have to admit that it's a little strange that 0 deg is vertical...

Rik