Re: Updated Summary of Discussions about FX work items

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:06:08 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:03 AM, Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com> wrote:
>> I think the shared properties resolution should be reworded slightly. It
>> would be nice if the CSS WG coordinated when adding properties that
>> could be
>> useful for svg too. I'd drop "random" from the resolution. Any change
>> to an
>> existing shared property will need coordination between the groups, any
>> new
>> shared properties can probably be handled in an SVG spec if it affects
>> svg -
>> or directly in a CSS spec if that's deemed more appropriate when
>> coordinating.
>
> Any ideas on how to determine when a CSS property may be useful for
> SVG?

Hmm, I'd go with use your own judgement, and if unsure ask on www-svg.

> I believe there are some easy guidelines (anything to do with
> layout isn't useful for SVG), but, for example, how much of the Image
> Values spec is useful?

For the Image Values spec I'd assume that people would like to be able to
use css gradient syntax in svg wherever you can use an SVG paintserver.
I'd imagine that the element() syntax would be nice to have there too.
Object-fit/object-position would be nice for images in svg (and probably
anything else that establishes a viewport in svg).

As for generic guidelines, things that affect rendering is probably going
to be of some interest to SVG. I agree that layout stuff is probably going
to be of less interest.

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group