From: Glenn Adams [mailto:glenn@skynav.com]
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 10:14 AM
To: Rik Cabanier
Cc: Cameron McCormack; Tavmjong Bah; Vincent Hardy; public-svg-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: ligature formation across text chunks

OK, i agree with your first point, but not with your second point; I would not interpret the language about "resultant space between two characters" as applying to the post-ligature results; I interpret this as "if the author specifies kerning, letter-spacing, dx, x, etc., such that the default spacing is changed" then ligation would be disabled; in the case

<text x="100" dx="1 2 3">coffee</text>

ligation of 'ff' would be permitted, since dx is zero for the second 'f' and following;

If it were:

<text x="100" dx="1 2 3 1">coffee</text>

then ligation would be disabled.

Note that this creates a problem for an author that wants ligation to occur *and* wants to specify an x or dx for the ligature glyph.

G.