Re: ligature formation across text chunks

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 10:17:02 +1200
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Cc: Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>, "public-svg-wg@w3.org" <public-svg-wg@w3.org>
Glenn Adams:
> However, I wonder how an SVG UA knows that I have already done the character
> to glyph mapping process and that it should not treat this <text/> as
> characters to undergo the same processing I have just completed?

I think that is what <altGlyph> is for – you specify which particular
glyphs you want to render for a sequence of characters.

> My sense is that SVG should have two distinct elements, one for use in
> drawing a sequence of glyphs, another for use in drawing a sequence of
> characters (with implied mapping to glyphs). Using <text/> for both purposes
> seems problematic.

I don’t think it is necessarily problematic that <altGlyph> is a child
of <text> rather than a separate standalone element.  The x=""
referencing characters rather than glyphs is a problem, though.

If we are to introduce a mechanism to specify the mapping of characters
to glyphs, it seems like we should have this on <altGlyph>.  x="" can
remain a character index for <text>, since the author cannot be sure how
the characters are going to be mapped to glyphs by the implementation.