ISSUE-2394 (text-newline): Newline removal in text processing not useful [SVG 2]

From: SVG Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:06:12 +0000
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org

ISSUE-2394 (text-newline): Newline removal in text processing not useful [SVG 2]

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2394

Raised by: Cameron McCormack
On product: SVG 2

I see that text.html#WhiteSpace says that newlines in
<text xml:space="default"> must be removed, rather than replaced with a
space.  I find that a bit strange, and at least inconsistent with HTML.

Here is a small test:
http://people.mozilla.org/~cmccormack/tests/text-newline.svg

WebKit and Batik remove the newline.  Firefox and Opera replace it with
a space.  (Haven’t got my Windows VM set up to test IE.)

I think the spec should change to match Firefox/Opera behaviour.