Re: Full 1.1 Test Suite Status Updated

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 01:04:37 +0100, Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
>  For the tests:
> WOFF is not an option for these tests. They are aimed at SVG user agents,
> not compound document handling web browsers disguised as universal
> application
> platforms facilitating operating system redundancy:-).

Alex is right, the tests cannot require support for WOFF since that's not
a required part of SVG 1.1 (or CSS2.0).

> WOFF is a _Working Draft_ last published on 27th July 2010. It is a long
> way from Recommendation status and as such, completely unsuitable for
> being
> referenced in any test for features in a W3C Recommendation.
>
> I know from your point of view the request seems advantageous for
> convenience,
> but it is incompatible with the process, and effectively breaks all the
> Tiny implementations being shipped today.

To be clear, the group has not agreed to remove the SVG Fonts in those
tests, but to add fallback fonts in an additional format(s). I don't think
that's a breaking change, but I agree with you about the riskiness of
adding a font format that is still in working draft status.

Would downloadable TTF fonts be any better? I don't mind if there are
fonts you can download and install on the system, and I don't mind adding
an additional test that doesn't use text there.
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group