RE: Gzipped svg files in the local filesystem

I wouldn't change this language for 1.1 2nd edition.

-----Original Message-----
From: public-svg-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-svg-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Erik Dahlstrom
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2010 7:59 AM
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org
Subject: Gzipped svg files in the local filesystem

Hello svg-wg,

I've been looking at the 1.1 and 1.2T specifications for conformance criteria for svg viewer UA:s in particular when encountering an *.svgz file in the local filesystem. I can't find a requirement for such files to be displayed - surely the intention isn't that such files must cause an error message to appear in the UA?

Reading [1] it seems clear that *.svgz files don't fulfill the requirements for being a "conforming standalone svg stand-alone file".
Should there be a similar conformance class for svgz files (along with clear requirements for displaying such files), or is wasting diskspace considered to be a good thing? Incidentally it would also mean that e.g Inkscape and Illustrator are not "Conforming SVG Generators".

Here's my proposed new wording (to be added to the confomance criteria
appendix):

[[ Conforming Compressed SVG Stand-Alone Files

A file is a Conforming Compressed SVG Stand-Alone File if:
- the first bytes of the file are 0x1F8b (the fixed ID1 and ID2 fields  from the gzip file format header, as defined in RFC1952),
- the file extension is "svgz",
- the decompressed contents of the file fulfills all the requirements for "Conforming SVG Stand-Alone Files".
]]

and changing G.6 to be:

[[ Conforming SVG Generators

A Conforming SVG Generator is a program which:
- always creates at least one of Conforming SVG Document Fragments, Conforming Compressed SVG Stand-Alone Files or Conforming SVG Stand-Alone Files.
- does not create non-conforming SVG document fragments of any of the above types.
]]

Finally add a clause that requires either "Conforming SVG Interpreters" or "Conforming SVG Viewers" to support "Conforming Compressed SVG Stand-Alone Files".

Cheers
/Erik

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/conform.html#ConformingSVGStandAloneFiles

--