Bug in struct-use-04-b.svg and it's friends?

From: Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:37:57 +1100
To: "public-svg-wg@w3.org" <public-svg-wg@w3.org>
Hi All,

	Investigating some of our failures and looking at the cause,
it looks to me like 'struct-use-04-b.svg' is in error. Unless I've
missed something weird, I think it's wrong.

	The test is checking external <use> and references a rect,
circle, polygon and ellipse in an external file.

	The external file is '../images/svgRef4.svg' which has
as its root element:

<svg id="svg-root" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 480 360" >

i.e. no namespace declaration. If 'svgRef4.svg' is parsed with an
XML parser, the elements with id of 'alpha', 'beta', etc. are in
the null namespace, not in the SVG namespace.

When they are referenced via <use> we see them as in the null namespace
and draw nothing. Opera seems to draw something - maybe it ignores the
namespace on reference, or there is some strange rule to assume the parent
namespace which sounds wrong to me.

The external document contains elements in the null namespace and should
render nothing if referenced as an SVG element as far as I can tell.

It appears a few other tests show the same problem but I haven't looked
in detail at them yet.

Comments?

Alex