Re: Browsers and ECMAscript editions

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:58:22 +0200
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
CC: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>, "'Oliver Hunt'" <oliver@apple.com>, SVG Working Group WG <public-svg-wg@w3.org>
On Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 9:51:12 AM, Robin wrote:

RB> On Aug 9, 2010, at 23:53 , Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
>> Interesting, since E4X is used in a number of non-browser JavaScript implementations quite heavily.

RB> That's true, and IMHO with good reason. I'm not sure what's
RB> hurting it on the browser side, is it a case of MS not implementing it?

Also, E4X was implemented in Mozilla Firefox and then, after a while, removed from the implementation. I don't know whether there was any conflict with regular ECMAScript, or if it was a code size/download time issue (odd, in this day and age) or whether, because other browsers didn't implement it, no-one was using it.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead