Re: Clarification of inheritance of fx, fy in gradients

Hi Erik,

Erik Dahlstrom wrote:
> Hi svg-wg,
>
> I'm wondering if we should clarify the definition of the fx and fy
> attributes[1] on the radialGradient element.

I can understand why there would be some confusion. When in doubt it doesn't
hurt to add extra wording for clarification.

> Scenario:
> - two radial gradients, the second one inheriting values from the first
> - the first gradient has cx specified to a value different from the
> second gradient's cx
> - none of the gradients have fx or fy specified
>
> Most implementations agree that the fx and fy values should not be
> inherited from the first gradient (because the values were not
> specified). Instead the fx and fy values (if not explicitly specified on
> the first gradient) should be taken from the presentational value of cx
> and cy on the second gradient.

We could probably change the last sentence in the specification to include
wording from your last sentence. For example:
[[
If attribute ‘fx’ is not specified, ‘fx’ will coincide with presentational value
of ‘cx’ for the element whether the value for ‘cx’ was inherited or not. If the
element references a radialGradient element that specifies a value for ‘fx’,
then the value of ‘fx’ is inherited from the referenced radialGradient element.
]]

That might be a bit wordy, so feel free to modify it anyway you see fit.

> I've added a testcase covering this case[2] and would like for someone
> to review it.
>
> Preliminary testing:
> batik1.7 PASS
> Chromium PARTIAL
> Opera PARTIAL
> Firefox PARTIAL
> Inkscape FAIL

I've reviewed the test and believe the rendered output by batik 1.7 to be correct.

This seems like an open-shut case, so we can probably briefly discuss it at the
telcon in a few hours to finalise the wording and assign an action.

Cheers,

Anthony