Thoughts on cleaning up SVG 1.1 for Second Edition

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:28:45 +1100
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org
Hi everyone.

I think we should remove the DTD fragments from the main chapters of SVG
1.1 for the Second Edition.  They are difficult to read, sometimes
incomplete (compared to the ones included in SVG 1.0) and are
distracting, IMO.  I’ve been working on build scripts to get 1.1 2ed
publication working and experimenting with a clearer summary of
elements.  Here’s an example:

  http://mcc.id.au/temp/struct.html

Those blue boxes used in place of the DTD fragments are similar to the
green boxes in the HTML 5 spec.

I’ve also got links to the relevant DOM interface in those blue boxes,
and in the IDL definitions section, the types and names in the IDL code
are linked to their definitions.

Not sure what to do with the DTD fragment in
http://mcc.id.au/temp/struct.html#xlinkRefAttrs since the prose talks
about the entities.  Maybe we could just remove that paragraph too.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.  Once I get these new
build scripts working properly, I’ll commit them to CVS.

Thanks,

Cameron