RE: More on circular references (ACTION-2494)

From: Alexander Adam <alexander.adam@examotion.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:47:19 +0100
To: "'Doug Schepers'" <schepers@w3.org>, "'Lee Martineau'" <lee.martineau@quickoffice.com>
Cc: <public-svg-wg@w3.org>
hi there!

> Great.
>
> Note that this may not be the best indicator of error for every
> situation.  For an external resource (like a missing image), you might
> put up a missing-image icon; for a problem in progressive rendering, you
> might put up a flashing clock or an alert that content has stopped
> meaningful indication to the user that not everything may be as the
> author intended is the goal.

Shouldn't it be possible to declare a standard "icon" in the svg spec to be
used for missing references? As of now, Renesis v3 will show an explicit
marker (defined as SVG;) when something is missing whereas other
implementations (most of them) do actually behave as if there've been no
fill / stroke for example, not sure what they do for images (Erik?). This
might lead the author to be pretty much confused at the very end about
what's going though as I am not sure whether he might really be able to
automatically know that a no-fill / no-stroke might mean an
invalid-reference thingy? Just my $0.02

Alex