SVG as Root in HTML

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:16:19 -0500
To: SVG WG <public-svg-wg@w3.org>

Henri Sivonen started a thread about SVG as the root element in an
"HTML" document (that is, one served as text/html, but with no HTML).
He neglected to CC www-svg, so I thought I'd bring it to your attention:

In general, I don't think this is a practice that should be encouraged,
but it's not clear exactly what should happen (at least to me) when it
does.  I would expect that this would tend to trip up the people who are
least likely to know why it's acting strangely, and with the least
control over fixing server-side issues, so the behavior should be
intuitive, especially with regards to script.

-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs