Re: ISSUE-2208 (rotate-center-point): Consider allowing rotations to be relative to their bounding box center [SVG Core 2.0]

From: Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:06:55 +0100
To: anthony.grasso@cisra.canon.com.au, "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: "SVG Working Group WG" <public-svg-wg@w3.org>

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 04:58:13 +0100, Anthony Grasso <anthony.grasso@cisra.canon.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Cam and Doug,
>
> In the transforms module we were thinking of having an attribute/property called
> percentage of the bounding box or using a key word like is listed below ('left',
> 'right', 'center'). Additionally, User Space coordinates can be specified for
>
> Not sure if this helpful for this issue though? or if can be merged into the module?

As long as the transform-origin doesn't inherit, and as long as it has compatible initial values then that would be a good choice. Otherwise we risk breaking old content.

Consider the example:

<rect transform="rotate(30)" x="100" y="100" width="100" height="100"/>

If the initial value for transform-origin is not (0,0) then that would look different in an old and in a new UA.

The currently suggested initial value is 50%,50% IIRC (at least in the CSS transformations proposal).

Cheers
/Erik