Re: ISSUE-2208 (rotate-center-point): Consider allowing rotations to be relative to their bounding box center [SVG Core 2.0]

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:33:27 +1100
To: SVG Working Group WG <public-svg-wg@w3.org>

ISSUE-2208:
> It is very common to rotate an object about its center point. This
> requires knowing the center point, however, and in some cases this
> can't be known without scripting. It would be handy to be able to
> specify that a rotation happens about the center point, e.g.:
>
>   <svg ...>
>     <text x='50' y='50' transform='rotate(-90, center)'/>
>   </svg>

“center” here would mean bounding box center.  I could imagine other
keywords being introduced to mean other, particular points on the
object.  These keywords would be the same as those that we might define
for the Layout module.

“centroid” could be another one, but I’m not sure how useful that would
be.