W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-svg-wg@w3.org > April to June 2009

Minutes, 25 May 2009 SVG f2f

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:18:48 +0200
Message-ID: <86866021.20090525101848@w3.org>
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org
Hello public-svg-wg,

 Minutes of the 25 May 2009 SVG f2f are here
http://www.w3.org/2009/05/25-svg-minutes.html

and below as text

                   SVG Working Group Teleconference

25 May 2009

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2009/05/25-svg-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Shepazu, ed, anthony, jwatt, heycam`

   Regrets
   Chair
          Cameron

   Scribe
          ChrisL

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]SVG 1.1 Second Edition update
         2. [5]California F2F dates and venue; TPAC 2009 schedule
         3. [6]TPAC
         4. [7]Raleigh F2F agenda
         5. [8]href in SVG
         6. [9]Other f2f topics
     * [10]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________



   <trackbot> Date: 25 May 2009

SVG 1.1 Second Edition update

   CmcC: Finished collecting diffs wrt first edition
   ... put in a changes appendix
   ... all the ones *not* captured by errata

   CL: why exclude changes from the eratta?

   CMcC: there is a link

   CL: People mostly want to know what changed, not necessarily why.
   Could be confusing

   DS: Agree with Chris

   CMcC: Please review the diffs

   DS: Suggest discussing at f2f

   ED: Yes

   CMcC: Errata ostly not folded in yet
   ... some will not be clean patches due to other overlappig updates,
   so be careful when applying them.

   DS: There are 66 errata in total

   CMcC: Split them up and assign them?

   DS: Yes

   AG: So 11 each

   DS: Split the complex ones evenly

   CMcC: Prefer to have the spec ready to publish at the end of the
   f2f.

   DS: Cameron, hand out tasks

   CL: Yes, go for it

   CMcC: Got errata published

   CL: Can fix encoding issue with .htaccess file

   [11]http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-htaccess-charset

     [11] http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-htaccess-charset

   CMcC: Some actions need to be done before f2f
   ... will sift through tracker and add actions to that list

   ED: What about test cases?

   CMcC: Not all errata have tests, some diffs may need tests also

   AG: Cat 2 and 1 errata will not need test cases, mostly

   ED: Some tests in the old repository, need to dig them out

   CMcC: Who will look for missing tests?

   <ed>
   [12]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Group/repository/errata/test-case
   s/

     [12] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Group/repository/errata/test-cases/

   <ed> (that's the old tests)

   AG: We should add tests as we add in errata, spreads the load

   CMcC: OK so I will do the non-errata tests and the people allocated
   errata should add the tests too

   <scribe> ACTION: Cameron to identify test cases needed for changes
   in the changes appendix for 1.1SE [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/25-svg-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2573 - Identify test cases needed for
   changes in the changes appendix for 1.1SE [on Cameron McCormack -
   due 2009-06-01].

   <scribe> ACTION: Cameron to allocate errata fold-in tasks to active
   WG embers [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/25-svg-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2574 - Allocate errata fold-in tasks to
   active WG members [on Cameron McCormack - due 2009-06-01].

California F2F dates and venue; TPAC 2009 schedule

   CMcC: Decided to go for just before SVGOpen

   <ed> [15]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/SVGOpen_F2F_2009

     [15] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/SVGOpen_F2F_2009

   DS: Only advantage of afterwards is immediate update from the
   conference. But before is fine

   CMcC: JWAtt, is Mozilla ok to host a meeting?

   JW: Waiting to hear back

   CMcC: Workshops are higher priority as needs more space

   JW: Mozilla also moving buildings which complicates things

   DS: Will be looking at the space at Google, next week. Could ask if
   they would host us, its just one room.
   ... Or we could rotate around the cafes .....

   (discussion of the number and size of workshops at svg open)

TPAC

   [16]http://www.w3.org/2009/11/TPAC/overview.html

     [16] http://www.w3.org/2009/11/TPAC/overview.html

   DS: Mini-TPAC was seen as competing with main tpac so we can't do
   it.
   ... some of us may attend anyway to do coordination rather than svg
   wg specific stuff
   ... call-in for specific topics also a possibility

   CMcC: Want to get topics arranged in advance

   DS: There is a USD 50/day charge for TPAC this year

   AG: still getting approval for TPAC
   ... depends on travel-ban for health scare stuff

Raleigh F2F agenda

   [17]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/NCF2F2009

     [17] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/NCF2F2009

   DS: So we have errata checking for publication of 1.1SE by end of
   the meeting

   CMcC: What else

   ED: Thought there was an action to fill this in already?

   Please fill in the registration form
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/19480/NC2009/

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/19480/NC2009/

   <ed> [19]http://www.w3.org/2009/04/29-svg-minutes.html#item03

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2009/04/29-svg-minutes.html#item03

   CL: Need list of CSS-SVG coord topics for CSS f2f agenda. Then the
   results can be disussed at svg the week after

   CMcC: Module reports and issues arising

   ED: Folding in the applying filters to html stuff that roc sent in

   CL: Good idea

   CMcC: Also add goals for the meeting

   Topic; ISSUE-2273: Should negative index values raise INDEX_SIZE_ERR

   [20]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2273

     [20] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2273

   Does not raise an index size error exception

   CMcC: Param is unsigned long so no negative numbers possible anyway
   ... would be casrt to unsigned int
   ... which other methods raise this?

   ED: replaceItem, getItem
   ... SVG not the only spec to face this issue

   CMcC: Older specs that don't reference WebIDL

   <ed> [21]http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html#ID-FF21A306

     [21] http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html#ID-FF21A306

   ED: DOM3Core hasan insertData which throws on negative even though
   ther parameter is unsigned long

   CMcC: touint32 tends to be used

   CL: so it would re-interpret the bit pattern and end up with a huge
   number not a negative one

   CcC: Yes
   ... need to test implementations
   ... with large magnitude negative numbers
   ... not sure without testing first

   ED: Don't think iplementations throw exception, but some may flag as
   a security breach
   ... or crash
   ... s a hint to trap this is good. Prefer throwing to be consistent.

   CMcC: Agree, and tend more to removing it rather than adding it here
   ... could mention in ecmascript binding appendix

   ED: Yes, that makes more sense

   JW: Out of our scope surely
   ... converted before SVG even sees it

   CMcC: yes, not our layer. But unless WebIDL is referenced we can
   either not mention it, leave it undefined, or document current
   practice

   JW: Prefer to see this as authoring guidelines

   CL: sounds like good wording

   CMcC: Prefer that wording and removing the negative index exception

   ED: OK

   Resolution: We will remove the negative index size error exception
   on list interface methods

   <ed> "INDEX_SIZE_ERR: Raised if the index number is negative or
   greater than or equal to numberOfItems." -> "INDEX_SIZE_ERR: Raised
   if the index number is greater than or equal to numberOfItems."

   <scribe> ACTION: Erik to remove the negative index size error
   exception on list interface methods and mention in changes appendix
   in 1.1SE [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/25-svg-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2575 - Remove the negative index size
   error exception on list interface methods and mention in changes
   appendix in 1.1SE [on Erik Dahlström - due 2009-06-01].

   ED: What to edit?

   CMcC: Edit the IDL file, the appendix inclusion is automatic
   ... and edit the changes appandix manually

href in SVG

   <shepazu> [23]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/20-svg-minutes.html#item07

     [23] http://www.w3.org/2009/05/20-svg-minutes.html#item07

   ISSUE-2042?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-2042 -- Consider adding adding non-NS linking
   syntax -- RAISED

   <trackbot> [24]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2042

     [24] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2042

   DS: Robin did clarify somewhat but not completely

   <shepazu>
   [25]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2009May/0041.html

     [25] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2009May/0041.html

   CL: Needs more discussion

   DS: A middle ground is to allow xlink: to be dropped, and also allow
   src as well as href in places where html allows it

   AG: Concerned about backwards compatibility

   CMcC: Yes, prefer to se html compat rather than an xlink rewrite
   ... leads into a wider discussion at f2f

Other f2f topics

   DS: Want to see a serious discussion about enhanced gradients
   ... deigners using multiple gradients and blur, but its awkward

   CL: three possibilities have been discussed, diffusion curves,
   trimesh and coons patches

   AG: diff curves paper used OpenGL accelleration, but was done in 2
   passes
   ... the last blur step is the performance killer, if there is no hw
   accel

   CmcC: Good to have more info on these for f2f

   (chris describes image borders and drop shadows in css3)

   <scribe> ACTION: Erik to check with Opera implementors on css3 image
   borders, slicing/scaling and SVG use [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/25-svg-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2576 - Check with Opera implementors on
   css3 image borders, slicing/scaling and SVG use [on Erik Dahlström -
   due 2009-06-01].

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Cameron to allocate errata fold-in tasks to active WG
   embers [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/25-svg-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Cameron to identify test cases needed for changes in
   the changes appendix for 1.1SE [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/25-svg-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Erik to check with Opera implementors on css3 image
   borders, slicing/scaling and SVG use [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/25-svg-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: Erik to remove the negative index size error exception
   on list interface methods and mention in changes appendix in 1.1SE
   [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/25-svg-minutes.html#action03]

   [End of minutes]


-- 
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris@w3.org
 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
Received on Monday, 25 May 2009 08:19:00 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 25 May 2009 08:19:02 GMT