ISSUE-2190 (principles overview): Add overview of general principles of SVG [SVG Core 2.0]

From: SVG Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 13:45:27 -0500 (EST)
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org

ISSUE-2190 (principles overview): Add overview of general principles of SVG [SVG Core 2.0]

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2190

Raised by: Doug Schepers
On product: SVG Core 2.0

In SVG 2.0, we should add a section in the beginning of the spec that describes general rules for behavior.  For example, gradients and fills of all kinds are referenced in the appropriate attribute value, and other similar things that apply to the element as a whole, such as filters, clipPaths, vector-effects, etc., are referenced through dedicated attributes.

In addition to being a useful overview for new SVG authors, writing a general overview of such principles can help us keep the spec consistent and intuitive as we develop further features, and can help implementers decide how to interpret the spec when a particular edge case is not explicitly covered.