W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-svg-wg@w3.org > October to December 2008

Minutes, SVG telcon Monday 17 November 2008

From: Anthony Grasso <anthony.grasso@cisra.canon.com.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:07:30 +1100
Message-ID: <4921DD12.2050501@cisra.canon.com.au>
To: W3C SVG Public Working Group <public-svg-wg@w3.org>

http://www.w3.org/2008/11/17-svg-minutes.html

---


    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                    SVG Working Group Teleconference

17 Nov 2008

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2008/11/17-svg-irc

Attendees

    Present
    Regrets
    Chair
           Erik

    Scribe
           anthony

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]SVG Trip Report
          2. [5]Testimonials
          3. [6]Filter Property
          4. [7]Module/Future Work
      * [8]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________



    <trackbot> Date: 17 November 2008

    <scribe> scribe: anthony

SVG Trip Report

    DS: As you probably know I went to Japan a week and half a go
    ... to speak at a conference
    ... and meet with people from the JIS interest group
    ... I spoke at the conference
    ... at a Conference called Wed Directions East
    ... was started by John Allsop
    ... he started the conference series
    ... on in Australia
    ... I was speaking on SVG and Canvas
    ... I just went over both of them
    ... features, and how they could be integrated
    ... demoed 'wow' stuff they could do
    ... other presentations were awesome
    ... I was asked to give a presentation at Wed Directions North
    ... as a result
    ... I'm already starting work on the next presentation
    ... coding up a site with examples
    ... I'll be asking for feedback and presenting it to you guys
    ... saw some amazing data visualisation
    ... I also talked to people from CSS world
    ... there is good support for SVG, CSS, and HTML to be integrated in
    ... a closer package
    ... I met with the JIS Group
    ... they discuss Japanese centric market interest
    ... a few things came out of the meeting
    ... presentation from takagi-san from KDDI
    ... he's been working on a map architecture using SVG
    ... he's been moved from R&D to productisation
    ... he's got some level of detail stuff in his spec
    ... ways of using RDF to establish a virtual view port
    ... to establish mapping between coordinate systems
    ... there is also a tiling aspect to it
    ... there is an algorithm that decides which tiles are displayed
    ... he plans on bringing this to the SVG Working Group
    ... in about 6 months or so
    ... and at the same time bring it up with the JIS Group
    ... probably the only this could get industry support is if SVG is
    adopted by JIS
    ... we've already overcome one hurdle by moving SVG Tiny forward now
    ... however, inorder to convince the government that this version is
    not going to be super-seeded but in addition to be stable it needs
    to be sustained
    ... for mobile that is the case
    ... no matter how fast we move as a working group we need to make
    sure something is implemented
    ... the JIS group will be looking at SVG over the course of the next
    year
    ... so between now and the next 6 months they may announce that it
    will be adopted
    ... In summary point 1 was there was an interesting map proposal
    ... simply proposing something to the Working Group doesn't mean it
    will be published as is though
    ... they want us to get in contact with the ISO people for this as
    well
    ... we have to make it clear that if wants to come to us with this
    that we should check with other vendors if
    ... this is the right way to go
    ... Point 2 the JIS wants to standardise SVG Tiny 1.2 and the
    mapping module
    ... the significance of this is if JIS becomes an SVG standard
    people that have not originally adopted SVG my adopt it now
    ... JIS in Japan carry a great deal of weight
    ... there were several companies there I think they are waiting to
    see where SVG goes with the market

    <chris> Testimonials from Adobe; BitFlash; Canon; Corel; CSIRO;
    Ericsson;

    <chris> Hewlett Packard; ILOG; KDDI; Nokia; Openwave; Schema
    Software; Sharp;

    <chris> Texas Instruments

    <chris> [9]http://www.w3.org/2003/01/svg11-testimonial

       [9] http://www.w3.org/2003/01/svg11-testimonial

Testimonials

    DS: Reminder that we need testimonials
    ... example link above

    <shepazu> another example:
    [10]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2006JulSep/00
    25.html

      [10] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2006JulSep/0025.html

    DS: don't have to be part of the Working Group to make a testimonial
    ... as long as you're a member

Filter Property

    CL: [Gives history lesson on filter property]

    [Discussion on feature strings]

    <shepazu> I think we should have feature strings for each element,
    more useful for authors to detect support and provide fallback

    DS: There are two practical off shoots from this
    ... describe a method for people to detect SVG Filters

    CM: The thread on the ECMA script discussion got into discussion of
    hacks Webkit has
    ... when testing for filters and document.all you get a false
    negative
    ... so it's a matter of whether things should be changed at our end
    ... or perhaps change the property name on the CSSStyleDeclaration
    object to something other than "filter"

    DS: As SVG gets mixed into HTML we'll probably run into this problem

    <ed--> ED: note that the CSS WG seems to be doing a new revision of
    the CSS OM, [11]http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom/

      [11] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom/

    DS: Can you post something along those lines?

    CM: I'll just post to say we are looking into it

Module/Future Work

    DS: We could consider the modules to be chapters of a spec

    CL: I assumed that we would at some point use the modules by
    reference or stick them into a spec
    ... there are problems both ways

    CM: There's are pros and cons with each way

    <chris> agreed

    CM: integration, and defining hooks
    ... and the advantage of being able to advance modules at different
    rates is a good one

    <ed--> ED: agrees with heycam that there are pros and cons

    DS: Priorities should be layout, diffusion curves, 2.5D and make
    sure we work well with CSS on that

    AG: I think Chris wanted to work on Vector Effects stuff

    <ed--> ED: has a lot of filter module actions, should get around to
    doing them, put off because of tiny1.2 work

Summary of Action Items

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [12]scribe.perl version 1.133
     ([13]CVS log)
     $Date: 2008/11/17 21:05:07 $
      _________________________________________________________

      [12] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [13] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

    [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.133  of Date: 2008/01/18 18:48:51
Check for newer version at [14]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002
/scribe/

      [14] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Ollsop/Allsop/
Succeeded: s/change what is returned in CSS/change the property name on
  the CSSStyleDeclaration object to something other than "filter"/
Found Scribe: anthony
Inferring ScribeNick: anthony

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: AG CL CM DS IPcaller P3 P5 P6 anthony chris ed ed-- e
d__ ed___ ed____ heycam shepazu trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
         <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
         <dbooth> Present+ amy

Found Date: 17 Nov 2008
Guessing minutes URL: [15]http://www.w3.org/2008/11/17-svg-minutes.html
People with action items:

      [15] http://www.w3.org/2008/11/17-svg-minutes.html

    End of [16]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

      [16] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
Received on Monday, 17 November 2008 21:08:17 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 17 November 2008 21:08:20 GMT