W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-svg-wg@w3.org > October to December 2008

Minutes, SVG telcon Tuesday 5 November 2008

From: Anthony Grasso <anthony.grasso@cisra.canon.com.au>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 23:57:05 +1100
Message-ID: <491046A1.5060905@cisra.canon.com.au>
To: W3C SVG Public Working Group <public-svg-wg@w3.org>

http://www.w3.org/2008/11/04-svg-minutes.html

---

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                    SVG Working Group Teleconference

04 Nov 2008

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2008/11/04-svg-irc

Attendees

    Present
           aemmons, anthony, [IPcaller], ed, heycam, Doug_Schepers, NH_

    Regrets
    Chair
           Andrew Emmons

    Scribe
           anthony

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Tiny 1.2 PR
          2. [5]ISSUE-2084
          3. [6]Disposition of Comments
          4. [7]Telcon Times
      * [8]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________



    <trackbot> Date: 04 November 2008

    <scribe> Scribe: anthony

Tiny 1.2 PR

    AE: Any objections to Tiny 1.2 going to PR?

    ALL: None

    Resolution: The SVG WG agrees to request that SVG 1.2 Tiny be
    advanced to Proposed Recommendation and then to Recommendation
    status

ISSUE-2084

    <shepazu> ISSUE-2084?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-2084 -- 16.2.9 values attribute 'extended syntax'
    -- CLOSED

    <trackbot> [9]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2084

       [9] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2084

    DS: Dr Hoffmann didn't really like this one
    ... I've marked it as satisfied
    ... I guess it's not that he's satisfied
    ... he's willing to live with it
    ... but he'd rather it removed
    ... is it ok to remove this part?

    AE: No it's ok
    ... I see there are number of responses on this

    DS: I guess the section in question starts with "compatibility with
    existing content" and ends with "discouraged from using trailing
    semicolon"
    ... I can I remove the whole thing
    ... in values?
    ... will this have a bad impact on existing content?

    NH: I think we can live with that
    ... I don't think it's a big issue

    Resolution: We will remove the section on of the specification
    allowing trailing semicolon

    DS: I can do that now

Disposition of Comments

    <shepazu> [10]http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/doc-svgt12.html

      [10] http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/doc-svgt12.html

    DS: There's the link
    ... if you scroll down
    ... you'll see on the right hand side
    ... we had 97 issues
    ... and 97 satisfied
    ... and this is the true recording
    ... we worked with everyone to get a resolution

    <shepazu>
    [11]http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/test/SVGT12-ImpReport.html

      [11] http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/test/SVGT12-ImpReport.html

    DS: This is also important
    ... there are a number of tests we had to drop at the last minute
    ... for various reasons
    ... we have spotty coverage on some of them
    ... but we have at least 2 passes for every approved test
    ... and a big thank you to the implementors

    NH: I found a few mistakes in some tests

    DS: I think we should wait a week before we look at those
    ... we'll be updating it at the time we go to recommendation
    ... we should update this with more tests
    ... and an updated corverage
    ... I'd like to have at least 500 tests

    NH: Is it possible for us to get our new implementation for this
    release?

    DS: I'm not sure. It is possible

    NH: I can send you our player with the tests

    DS: Ok, I'll attempt to do that
    ... can you do that today?

    NH: In a few hours

    DS: It's going to be passes right?

    NH: Yes

    DS: Is it for Mac or Windows?

    NH: Windows

    DS: I guess there are only 15 or 20 that you're not passing

    NH: I think it's more

    DS: Please send me the implementation

    NH: I'll send you the implementation with a list of the tests we've
    been fixing
    ... and Bitflash can do the same
    ... and I'll see about adding them to the matrix

Telcon Times

    <heycam> [12]http://mcc.id.au/2007/03/telcon/

      [12] http://mcc.id.au/2007/03/telcon/

    CM: Chris is set to +2
    ... I'll change him to +1
    ... he's in the same timezone as ED and NH

    <ed> [13]http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=188

      [13] http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=188

    DS: I think my zone is -5
    ... we could move to a Monday telcon
    ... since we're done with SVG Tiny we should examine what we are
    doing with telcons
    ... I propose as we've been discussing for the last several months
    ... rather than work on 1.2 Full
    ... that we work on 2.0 core
    ... which will be a reformulation of SVG
    ... and more suitable for integration for HTML and XHTML
    ... and we should focus on bringing all the good stuff from SVG Tiny
    ... we wouldn't exactly start from scratch
    ... I'd like to rearrange it because it's a bit confusing
    ... I propose that one call be devoted be focused on 2.0 core
    ... and other core be focused on specific modules
    ... how does that sound to everybody?
    ... do people think that working 2.0 core is what we should work on?

    CM: I think it would be good to work on something like core

    ED: I think it depends on the scope of core
    ... I think it would be useful that maps to 1.1 but has the good
    things from Tiny

    AE: Is it useful having two tracks having Full and Core?
    ... and we don't have any Tiny any more
    ... because many small devices are quite powerful

    ED: True, because we are shipping SVG full on phones now

    AE: And there is a demand to keep up with more graphical effects out
    there

    DS: I've heard they are rewriting flash from scratch
    ... and there'll be only one
    ... given what AE has said
    ... how does Ikivo or Bitflash about this?
    ... Same as Andrew

    NH: Same as Andrew

    DS: I think if we are aggressive about core we could get it done in
    a year
    ... and we could say that is the spec for mobile devices and browers

    CM: On mobile you'd have this base feature set
    ... and modules build up full
    ... I guess if we are going to have Core
    ... that's going to be only one
    ... is there is a reason for modules?

    DS: There is a reason is features can implemented in CSS etc
    ... Since it is not much more complicated the speed along the rec
    track is critical
    ... it's easier to write tests and the smaller specs
    ... for modules
    ... we could think of modules as chapters for Core perhaps

    ED: If we are going to go down that path we should have a planned
    infrastructure
    ... e.g. scripts
    ... dependencies
    ... etc

    DS: Erik will you compose and email with the challenges you see in
    that approach

    ED: My personal feel it is quicker to move one spec
    ... then several
    ... although I could be wrong

    DS: In terms of review it could be easier to review smaller ones
    ... but I could be wrong

    AE: If you want to take into account how other modules fit in with
    other modules
    ... you may have to read other modules
    ... to see how it all fits
    ... maybe we want figure out our approach
    ... maybe we can raise an issue on modules or a single spec

    Resolution: The SVG WG will operate on the assumption that Core 2.0
    will be targeted for mobile devices and desktops

    DS: There are challenges that we'd run into with modules
    ... [Discussion on modules]

    AE: Maybe Video
    ... as long as we brought over Video
    ... and not require us to be placed in a canvas
    ... just thinking out loud

    DS: I'd be strongly in favor of keeping video
    ... the Video in HTML can't be sync-ed with a time container
    ... I think we should try to converge on functionality
    ... we inherited video from SMIL
    ... so we should keep it
    ... could have a section on how mobiles should do this

    AE: So lets continue trying to get a telcon time
    ... I think the first few weeks will be figuring out which approach
    to take
    ... we agree that two is still appropriate?

    DS: Personally I'd like to have 2 telcons as long as 1 is option
    ... I'd like us to make quick progress on the stuff we have planned
    ... and drop down to 1 once we're going

    AG: Depends on the work load
    ... I think we should run with two and see how it goes

    <ed> [14]http://mcc.id.au/2007/03/telcon/?op=impossible

      [14] http://mcc.id.au/2007/03/telcon/?op=impossible

    ED: Monday and Thursday 20:30 CET

    <ed> that is the top match on
    [15]http://mcc.id.au/2007/03/telcon/?op=view

      [15] http://mcc.id.au/2007/03/telcon/?op=view

    [Discussion on picking a suitable time]

    <ed> Mon 14:30 and Thu 14:30 UTC-5 / Mon 20:30 and Thu 20:30 UTC+1 /
    Tue 6:30 and Fri 6:30 UTC+11

    AE: A new time for next week
    ... and this Thursday off

    DS: So Monday next week?
    ... I may or may not be available, because I'll be in Japan
    ... so that'll be 11:30 for folks in CA

    Resolution: We will change the telcon time to Mon 20:30 and Thur
    20:30 UTC +1

    <scribe> ACTION: To book the telcon bridge for the new times
    [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2008/11/04-svg-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - To

    <scribe> ACTION: Doug to Book the telcon bridge with the new times
    [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2008/11/04-svg-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-2346 - Book the telcon bridge with the new
    times [on Doug Schepers - due 2008-11-11].

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Doug to Book the telcon bridge with the new times
    [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2008/11/04-svg-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: To book the telcon bridge for the new times [recorded
    in [19]http://www.w3.org/2008/11/04-svg-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [20]scribe.perl version 1.133
     ([21]CVS log)
     $Date: 2008/11/04 12:43:43 $
      _________________________________________________________

      [20] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [21] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

    [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.133  of Date: 2008/01/18 18:48:51
Check for newer version at [22]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002
/scribe/

      [22] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/We will advance/The SVG WG agrees to request that SVG 1.2
Tiny be advanced/
Succeeded: s/Telcon/Telcon Times/
Succeeded: s/20:30/20:30 CET/
Found Scribe: anthony
Inferring ScribeNick: anthony
Default Present: aemmons, anthony, [IPcaller], ed, heycam, Doug_Scheper
s, NH_
Present: aemmons anthony [IPcaller] ed heycam Doug_Schepers NH_
Found Date: 04 Nov 2008
Guessing minutes URL: [23]http://www.w3.org/2008/11/04-svg-minutes.html
People with action items: doug to

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2008/11/04-svg-minutes.html

    End of [24]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

      [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
Received on Tuesday, 4 November 2008 12:58:46 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 4 November 2008 12:58:46 GMT