ISSUE-2175 (tb-rl, tb-lr): Revisit vertical text for tb-rl, tb-lr [SVG Core 2.0]

From: SVG Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 12:56:28 -0500 (EST)
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org

ISSUE-2175 (tb-rl, tb-lr): Revisit vertical text for tb-rl, tb-lr [SVG Core 2.0]

Raised by: Doug Schepers
On product: SVG Core 2.0

Richard Ishida (i18n)
Comment 7
At http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0810-svg-tiny/
Editorial/substantive: E
Tracked by: RI

Location in reviewed document:
10.6.1 [http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/text.html#TextLayoutIntroduction]

"For top-to-bottom text, the block-progression-direction always points 90 degrees counter-clockwise from the reference orientation vector because the only available top-to-bottom writing mode is tb-rl."

I think this sentence needs to be deleted, since SVG Tiny doesn't support vertical text. If it is there as a general statement, it should be made clearer, and corrected to say that tb-rl is not the only vertical writing mode.

Doug Schepers
I've removed the offending sentence, but be warned that it may return in
SVG Full.  How would you reword this in light of writing-mode="tb-lr"
(for Mongolian, Manchu and Phags-pa script), a value not covered in SVG
1.1 Full?

Please let us know if this satisfies your comment, in terms of the SVG
1.2 Tiny spec.