W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-svg-wg@w3.org > October to December 2008

Minutes October 16, 2008, marathon telcon

From: Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:57:36 +0200
To: "public-svg-wg@w3.org" <public-svg-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <op.ui4bmajhgqiacl@gnorps>

HTML here:

  http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html

text for bots: 

  [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                   SVG Working Group Teleconference

16 Oct 2008

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-irc

Attendees

   Present
          ed_work, NH, aemmons

   Regrets
   Chair
          SV_MEETING_CHAIR

   Scribe
          erik

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]ISSUE-2089
     * [5]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________



   <trackbot> Date: 16 October 2008

   [6]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/products/11

      [6] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/products/11

   [7]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2055

      [7] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2055

   <scribe> ACTION: ed to take over the scope-chain removal action from
   heycam and address ISSUE-2055 [recorded in
   [8]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2303 - Take over the scope-chain removal
   action from heycam and address ISSUE-2055 [on Erik Dahlström - due
   2008-10-23].

   <shepazu> [9]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2141

      [9] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2141

   <shepazu> [10]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2146

     [10] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2146

   RESOLUTION: Remove sentence "If the user agent cannot find a
   graphics element or SVGElementInstance object to be the target
   object (e.g., the pointer event occurs over the viewport
   background), then the user agent must set the target object to be
   the rootmost 'svg' element." from the interactivity chapter

   RATIONALE: This was not in SVG 1.1, and also contradicts the
   step-by-step instructions below

   [11]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/SVG/profiles/1.2T/master/interact.html.
   diff?r1=1.55&r2=1.56&f=h

     [11] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/SVG/profiles/1.2T/master/interact.html.diff?r1=1.55&r2=1.56&f=h

   <scribe> ACTION: DS to remove the sentence "If the user agent cannot
   find a graphics element or SVGElementInstance object to be the
   target object (e.g., the pointer event occurs over the viewport
   background), then the user agent must set the target object to be
   the rootmost 'svg' element." from the interactivity chapter and
   respond to LC comment, ISSUE-2146 [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2304 - Remove the sentence \"If the user
   agent cannot find a graphics element or SVGElementInstance object to
   be the target object (e.g., the pointer event occurs over the
   viewport background), then the user agent must set the target object
   to be the rootmost 'svg' element.\" from the interactivity chapter
   and respond to LC comment, ISSUE-2146 [on Doug Schepers - due
   2008-10-23].

   <shepazu> [13]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2148

     [13] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2148

   <scribe> ACTION: ed to Clarify script outside rootmost svg element
   wording in the scripting chapter (ISSUE-2148) and respond to cyril
   [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2305 - Clarify script outside rootmost svg
   element wording in the scripting chapter (ISSUE-2148) and respond to
   cyril [on Erik Dahlström - due 2008-10-23].

   <shepazu> [15]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2098

     [15] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2098

   Modifying a 'script' element's 'xlink:href' attribute after its
   "already processed" flag is set to true will not cause any new
   script content to be fetched or executed.

   not exactly it though

   <scribe> ACTION: ed to address ISSUE-2098, the script element should
   be removed but this won't affect script execution [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2306 - Address ISSUE-2098, the script
   element should be removed but this won't affect script execution [on
   Erik Dahlström - due 2008-10-23].

   <anthony> ed_work, shepazu, NH, just got back

   hey anthony

   <anthony> looks like Olaf got back to me about issue 2082

   <anthony> I've closed that off

   cool

   <anthony> we need to discuss 2089

   I've just committed what I hope will address ISSUE-2062

   so, I think what's left there is to send a response to doh

   I'll run make too, and check in the publish version in a moment

   <anthony> ok

   NH: ping?

   trackbot, close ACTION-2285

   <trackbot> ACTION-2285 Clarify the second point of Issue-2062 closed

   <NH> I'll call in shortly, just got back from lunch

   great ok

   I think if someone wants to reply to ISSUE-2062 that should be
   possible now

   no more spec editing should be needed

   trackbot, start telcon

   <trackbot> Meeting: SVG Working Group Teleconference

   <trackbot> Date: 16 October 2008

   <scribe> scribe: erik

   <scribe> scribeNick: ed_work

   [17]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2089

     [17] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2089

ISSUE-2089

   AG: DOH gives an explanation of underlying values
   ... makes some conclusions based on the spec wording
   ... thinks it's just a misunderstand of SMIL
   ... and animateTranform is in conflict with the SMIL definitions
   ... not sure the suggestions are good since I'm not sure how it
   affects animations

   AG/AE: agree with the paragraph starting "my impression is"

   <scribe> ACTION: AG to make changes as suggested by DOH for
   ISSUE-2089 [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action05]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2307 - Make changes as suggested by DOH
   for ISSUE-2089 [on Anthony Grasso - due 2008-10-23].

   AG: the second part should probably be discussed more, but perhaps a
   later discussion

   AE: right, this is not a new problem

   <scribe> ACTION: AG to draft an email response for the second half
   of ISSUE-2089 [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action06]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2308 - Draft an email response for the
   second half of ISSUE-2089 [on Anthony Grasso - due 2008-10-23].

   <anthony> ISSUE-2062?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-2062 -- foreignObject content and referenced
   resource -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [20]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2062

     [20] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2062

   ED: I have added some clarifying wording to the spec, and chris
   addressed the first part

   <scribe> ACTION: AG to respond to DOH regarding ISSUE-2062 [recorded
   in [21]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action07]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2309 - Respond to DOH regarding ISSUE-2062
   [on Anthony Grasso - due 2008-10-23].

   [22]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2141

     [22] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2141

   AG: looking at cvs log
   ... changing the example now

   <scribe> ACTION: AG to verify that the example prefetch02.svg in the
   structure chapter is really UTF-16, and fix it if so (ISSUE-2141)
   [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action08]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2310 - Verify that the example
   prefetch02.svg in the structure chapter is really UTF-16, and fix it
   if so (ISSUE-2141) [on Anthony Grasso - due 2008-10-23].

   [24]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2139

     [24] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2139

   AE: would like to know what other ppl thinks about this, but I don't
   think eRR affects prefetch much
   ... I see that there is a relationship, and an informative note is
   what he's asking for it seems

   <scribe> ACTION: AE to send his opinion on ISSUE-2139 to the svgwg
   list [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action09]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2311 - Send his opinion on ISSUE-2139 to
   the svgwg list [on Andrew Emmons - due 2008-10-23].

   [26]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2147

     [26] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2147

   AE: he has a response with some suggestions

   [27]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008OctDec/011
   7.html

     [27] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008OctDec/0117.html

   [28]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008OctDec/att
   -0117/single-page.html

     [28] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008OctDec/att-0117/single-page.html

   AE: don't think he's added anything, just rearranged what was
   already there

   AG: he's rewritten some things

   AE: i think the sentence in red should still be there
   ... i don't necessarily like how the last paragraph is done
   ... maybe we could move the terms around, so that the third
   paragraph is the second
   ... I don't want to make any bigger changes at this point

   ED: yeah, I like what he's done, the list for example, but we need
   to verify that this has not changed what was in there before

   <scribe> ACTION: AE to move the third paragraph in 14.1.6 to be the
   second paragraph and to respond to cyril (ISSUE-2147) [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action10]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2312 - Move the third paragraph in 14.1.6
   to be the second paragraph and to respond to cyril (ISSUE-2147) [on
   Andrew Emmons - due 2008-10-23].

   [30]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2143

     [30] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2143

   <scribe> ACTION: ed to respond to cyril regarding ISSUE-2143
   [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action11]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2313 - Respond to cyril regarding
   ISSUE-2143 [on Erik Dahlström - due 2008-10-23].

   [32]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2150

     [32] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2150

   ED: not sure either what 'required' attributes mean here

   <scribe> ACTION: AE to verify that the removal of qouted section in
   ISSUE-2150 would not impact the JSR-226 and 287 [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action12]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2314 - Verify that the removal of qouted
   section in ISSUE-2150 would not impact the JSR-226 and 287 [on
   Andrew Emmons - due 2008-10-23].

   ED: I'd be ok with taking it out, it doesn't make sense to me

   NH: I have no problem with taking it out either
   ... does it affect JSR-226 since it's tiny 1.1?

   AE: they've asked us to not break their specs
   ... so we need to be a bit careful

   NH: I might have to check up on this first
   ... will check it today

   ED: don't understand his last question there
   ... in ISSUE-2150

   AE: maybe if you have a script and the script throws an exception
   would it put the document in error?

   ED: right ok, I don't think it would

   AE: agreed

   [34]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2134

     [34] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2134

   ED: he's misread the spec for the conceptual g element, it says it
   doesn't transfer the x,y,xml:base and xlink:href to the generated g
   element
   ... I agree that the broken sentence there is strange
   ... I'll go through the cvs logs and see if I can find out
   ... he's correct about width and height on use, so the example needs
   to be fixed
   ... i'd be happy if someone could take a look at the id:s and last
   question about xml:base

   <scribe> ACTION: ed to address ISSUE-2134 as indicated in these
   minutes and respond to cyril [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action13]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2315 - Address ISSUE-2134 as indicated in
   these minutes and respond to cyril [on Erik Dahlström - due
   2008-10-23].

   trackbot, make minutes

   <trackbot> Sorry, ed_work, I don't understand 'trackbot, make
   minutes'. Please refer to [36]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc
   for help

     [36] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc

   rrs-agent, make minutes

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: AE to move the third paragraph in 14.1.6 to be the
   second paragraph and to respond to cyril (ISSUE-2147) [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action10]
   [NEW] ACTION: AE to send his opinion on ISSUE-2139 to the svgwg list
   [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action09]
   [NEW] ACTION: AE to verify that the removal of qouted section in
   ISSUE-2150 would not impact the JSR-226 and 287 [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action12]
   [NEW] ACTION: AG to draft an email response for the second half of
   ISSUE-2089 [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: AG to make changes as suggested by DOH for ISSUE-2089
   [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: AG to respond to DOH regarding ISSUE-2062 [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: AG to verify that the example prefetch02.svg in the
   structure chapter is really UTF-16, and fix it if so (ISSUE-2141)
   [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action08]
   [NEW] ACTION: DS to remove the sentence "If the user agent cannot
   find a graphics element or SVGElementInstance object to be the
   target object (e.g., the pointer event occurs over the viewport
   background), then the user agent must set the target object to be
   the rootmost 'svg' element." from the interactivity chapter and
   respond to LC comment, ISSUE-2146 [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: ed to address ISSUE-2098, the script element should be
   removed but this won't affect script execution [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: ed to address ISSUE-2134 as indicated in these minutes
   and respond to cyril [recorded in
   [46]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action13]
   [NEW] ACTION: ed to Clarify script outside rootmost svg element
   wording in the scripting chapter (ISSUE-2148) and respond to cyril
   [recorded in
   [47]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: ed to respond to cyril regarding ISSUE-2143 [recorded
   in [48]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action11]
   [NEW] ACTION: ed to take over the scope-chain removal action from
   heycam and address ISSUE-2055 [recorded in
   [49]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [50]scribe.perl version 1.133
    ([51]CVS log)
    $Date: 2008/10/16 12:55:30 $
     _________________________________________________________

     [50] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [51] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

   [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.133  of Date: 2008/01/18 18:48:51
Check for newer version at [52]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002
/scribe/

     [52] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: erik
Found ScribeNick: ed_work

WARNING: Replacing list of attendees.
Old list: ed_work Doug_Schepers NH
New list: ed_work NH aemmons

Default Present: ed_work, NH, aemmons
Present: ed_work NH aemmons

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 16 Oct 2008
Guessing minutes URL: [53]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html
People with action items: ae ag ds ed

     [53] http://www.w3.org/2008/10/16-svg-minutes.html

   End of [54]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

     [54] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm


-- 
Erik Dahlstrom, Core Technology Developer, Opera Software
Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
Personal blog: http://my.opera.com/macdev_ed
Received on Thursday, 16 October 2008 12:58:19 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 16 October 2008 12:58:20 GMT