ISSUE-2122 (quotes vs apostrophe): Inconsistent usage of quotes and/or apostrophe in markup [Last Call: SVG 1.2 Tiny ]

From: SVG Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:11:17 -0400 (EDT)
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org

ISSUE-2122 (quotes vs apostrophe): Inconsistent usage of quotes and/or apostrophe in markup [Last Call: SVG 1.2 Tiny ]

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2122

Raised by: Doug Schepers
On product: Last Call: SVG 1.2 Tiny

Helder Magalhães
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Oct/0107.html>:
[[
9. Inconsistent usage of quotes and/or apostrophe in markup

I noticed several inconsistent usages of the delimiter for attribute
values in XML markup. For example, in "entity.svg" [GENERAL], current
markup even shows both within the same document:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg [
    <!ENTITY Smile "
    <rect x='.5' y='.5' width='29' height='39' fill='black' stroke='red'/>

While I though the use of quotes was mandatory, it was quick to find a
similar example in the XML specification [XMLLANG], so it's probably
just an old myth in my mind. Few more samples of these mixed usage,
now in property definition [LINKING]:

xlink:type = 'simple'
[...]
target = '_replace' | '_self' | '_parent' | '_top' | '_blank' | "<frame-target>"
[...]
focusable = "true" | "false" | "auto"

Nevertheless, I'd generally recommend using the delimiter character
consistently. I can think of cases where simpler implementations,
which will tend to have less support for special (?) cases in XML
parsing, may potentially fail to render SVG content for a somehow
unrelated issue.

]]